Progress update and pictures…

Work has been progressing¬† on Winkle’s Yard with both the layout and the rolling stock getting attention.

As I was having a little running session/test, I realised that the pieces of plasticard I had stuck between the rails in the oil depot were causing problems with my shunters which would stop due to lack of contact with the rails due to the gap pushing the wheels up. It was with some anxiety that I raised the piece of plastic whilst trying not to break it and then stuck it back down. It didn’t come up in one piece but it has been stuck down again and is now in a better position with shunters running freely in and out of the oil depot siding. Phew!

The back scene has now got a wall in front of it, separating the row of terrace houses from the back of the goods yard. This was made with brick embossed plasticard sprayed to give a blue/back brick effect. The space has also been given a cover of various ground cover materials, randomly put down to create a shrub/waste land effect. I hope to try and get the odd tree in there if I can.

Here’s a few pics…


Let me out!

Winkle’s Yard is having a day out! Well more of a shake down.

In order to help me practice the transportation, setting up and operation of Winkle’s Yard, I shall be showing it off at Great Eastern Models in Norwich on Saturday 16 February 2019. This is not a formal exhibition appearance as its formal debut is still some months away.

I can’t say everything is 100% ready yet but this will be a good opportunity to see how it all comes together and if there are any major snags that need my attention.

If you are local to Norwich, Please do come to the shop and say hello.





Sprats the Way..ah ha, I like it!

Well there haven’t been too many pictures recently but here’s one of the little red table in my house and it really does reflect everything I’ve done in the last few weeks.


Removing existing NEM couplings and replacing them with Sprat and Winkle uncouplings isn’t that hard but it is one of those repetitive jobs that can get a bit dull after the first 25 wagons!

With my layout coming on well, it was time to focus on the fleet of wagons that was needed for my goods yard project. I had opted for a hands free operation which looks really good when it works well.

This has been quite time consuming as every wagon is of a different design. The van in the picture is a good example. The long wheel base model resulted in the coupling being a part of the moving wheel and suspension moldings. The couplings were cut off, this section leaving the wheels to be returned to their place. I then needed to raise the height of the coupling and so I used a couple of pieces of plasticard to ensure the hook was at the correct height. The careful adjustment of each wagon is also necessary to ensure they do their job correctly. Watching it all work is very satisfying!

I’ve now exhausted my supply of magnetic links so I have a few nights off until Mr Postie delivers some more. I guess that gives me time to add loops to the fronts of my diesel fleet!